Everybodies Hometown...

Monday, January 15, 2007

My vacation to the REAL WORLD

The question came up in the comments – "where have you gone Joe Dimaggio" or in this case MofC? Well I’ll tell you. I left the comfy confines of Rosecoloredglassesland and returned to the Real World Philadelphia. Not the MTV version of the same name mind you, but the actual real world Philadelphia. By the way, I hated it. The real world sucks. Both of them.

However, it does have one nice advantage – cable TV. Yes, the real world has cable TV. Rosecoloredglassesland has rabbit ears and CBS. How "Ghost Whisperer" manages to stay on the air, I can only attribute to two reasons....

It was while watching cable TV in the real world Philadelphia that I noticed a commercial with Dennis Hopper, for Ameriprise Financial about retiring in Dreamland. This sounded great to me! It’s exactly what I want, a vacation to Dreamland, or better yet, a retirement! While Rosecoloredglassesland is very close to Dreamland, both of which are nowhere near Real World Philadelphia land, it would be a welcome change. I decided to set out for Dreamland and arranged a meeting with my Ameriprise Financial advisor to discuss my trip. His name was Bob.

After a brief introduction and the normal first round of questions, Bob and I got down to the nitty-gritty. The first thing he wanted to know was how old I was? When I told him I was forty I could tell by his reaction something was wrong? I told him I always fancied myself as somewhat of a late bloomer. "No problem" he said. "You’re getting a bit of a late start, so tell me what to you have saved for your trip to Dreamland?"

"Nothing" I said.

"Cash in the bank?"

"No."

"Stocks or Bonds?"

"No."

"Home equity?"

"No."

"Gold bullion?"

"No"

"Other precious metals?"

"No."

"Any nuclear material you can sell?"

"No. However I can probably get my spy friend DK to give me some Polonium-210 if you want me to poison your boss. What’s it worth to you?"

"No thanks. Do you have anything of value at all?"

"Yes."

"GOOD! WHAT IS IT" he asked with excitement?

"I do have 30 year old stamp collection, that has been kept in my mom’s attic for the past 29 years. The heat in the summertime has caused all the stamps to fuse together into one giant stamp."

"I see."

"And what exactly is your Dream Mr. Beebe" Bob asked?

"An Empire" I said. "I want an Empire."

"Do you really think that is realistic given your situation?"

"Bob, your not much of a financial planner are you? Plus, you’re a lousy travel agent! It’s called Dreamland for a reason..."

It looks like for the time being, I’m stuck in Rosecoloredglassesland, and while it isn’t Dreamland, it’s still a long way away from the Real World! (both of them).

9 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Chuck, I wanted to be the first to say that this is really an outstanding blog. You've out done yourself with this one.

Thanks.

EDITORS NOTE: Chuck is currently suffering from isolation sickness and is not himself. Being trapped inside during a snowstorm, he is fast approaching PHASE-3.

PHASE-1 = commenting to yourself in blogs.

PHASE-2 = Talking outloud to yourself.

PHASE-3 = Being found by the police walking around naked in a snowstorm.

10:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck,

Despite your delusional cynicism, I consider this progress. Hopefully you'll get more than 4" of snow today so we can get some real meat on this blog (again). If it helps, refresh back to your December 11 entries, that should provide inspiration.

2:15 PM

 
Blogger d.K. said...

Chuck,
While it's true that the Polonium 210 is yours for the asking, you're supposed to keep my name out of it -- I could get into trouble!

P.S. The one and only reason I haven't yet thrown the towel in completely is because I need cable TV.

5:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're meaning to tell me that a firm handshake, pleasant smile, and a hardy ol' "nice to meet you Bob" aren't enough to get you on the track to Dreamland???

Maybe Dreamland's not the place for you Chuck. Have you checked out Daydreamland, Illusionville, or Oasis Heights? All very nice places, weather's great, nice people, and fun bars. Just don't get attached to anything/anyone in Daydreamland, they close early and things change quickly.

5:32 PM

 
Blogger Chuck said...

I bet the girls are all HOT in Daydreamland....Is it a good overnighter?

5:39 PM

 
Blogger akjn westside said...

I frequent Bali Hai in the South Pacific...they offer day trips to Dreamland.

11:51 AM

 
Blogger Chuck said...

Most people live on a lonely island,
Lost in the middle of a foggy sea.
Most people long for another island,
One where they know they will like to be.

12:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send in the clowns.

1:30 PM

 
Blogger PokerPro said...

Chuck, you forgot about one of your biggest assets, Betty the Honda! Have you tried putting that mega stamp on ebay just to see what kind of laughs you get?

1:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home