Everybodies Hometown...

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Captains Log

Captain's Log - 2:47 am February 14th, 2006.
  • Unable to sleep I decided to walk out on deck and reflect back over the 18 days I've been out at sea. Realizing it was Valentines Day only reminded me of being in love which in turn reminded me of a few of the ports I've had the pleasure of docking in. So many nice ports, even if it was just a quick Friday night stay. Or course, thoughts like this on a ship of men won't do anyone any good so I quickly dismiss them and move on....
  • Still having trouble getting used to the size of this new ship as she seems a bit empty. Of course the previous captain was hoodwinked out of half his ship's possessions by the local drunkards which may explain why it seems so empty, and why we got it so cheaply. Still, being a new class vessel it does have it's share of modern efficiencies, although we are still trying to work the bugs out of a few. The electric generation plant is still running at 50% efficiency. This is causing quite a stir down in the galley as "Cookie" is forced to prepare only meals that don't need refrigeration. This in turn does have a positive side as the crew doesn't have the chance to complain about leftovers. Addtionaly the lack of electric has forced the crew to be selective about when they use the "facilities". Or course, being on a ship they prefer to do number one over the side anyway...
  • Making a cursory inspection of the vessel I've noticed the beginnings of termite damage. At this stage the damage is minimal, but as we know it won't get better on it's own, so I make a mental note to fix it when we get to the next port.
  • It seems this boat picked up quite a collection of bats sitting in it's last port. They don't bother me much and do a nice job of keeping the bugs to a minimum, but I could do with out having to swab the deck of guano everyday!
  • Last night, a few of the veteran crew pulled the classic sailors initiation and cut a slit down the middle of one of the yeomen's sleeping hammock. I wish I could have seen his face when he tried to get in. For that matter, the poor bloke below him as I understand he had the top hammock! I love that prank...Speaking of the crew, there seems to be an abundance of "Chucks" on board. I've given one of them the old Indonesian word for "scraggy beard" as a nickname- Taliban, to help with the confusion.

Time to tighten the sails and head back to bed, and wait to see what the rising sun holds for me tomorrow.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home