Everybodies Hometown...

Monday, February 06, 2006

Superbowl Sunday

Superbowl Sunday, the most watched TV program on earth.

This year, I had no pregame hype. Not the two weeks worth of talk by every announcer with an opinion. Not the bombardment of advertisements. None of it.

The game itself had no pregame for me and the announcing was in Spanish so for the most part it could have been any other game, only with a big half-time show.

And you know what? It was nice. I could actually just enjoy the game for what it was!

Except for one small problem.....

The town was dry. I don't mean that there was a sudden lack of rain and everything was dusty, because that is how it is anyway.

I don't mean there was nobody in town with a sense of humor.

I mean prohibition had set in!

Yesterday was election day here in Costa Rica. Soon there will be a new President. Saturday afternoon the police drove around to all the bars and taped the coolers shut, not to be opened until Midnight Sunday. Granted, it wasn't like they were under lock and key but nobody was serving beer!

Have they no grasp of the most watched TV program on earth!

I'm in game day shape. I make it a point to keep myself ready for any situation, but I can't sit on a bar stole for 4 hours and drink Coca-cola! I'm not superhuman for crying out loud!

4 Comments:

Blogger tedman said...

Chuck,

I just receviced a call from BK who is looking for you inorder to give you a 1099 form. Unless otherwise directed, I'll give him your hotmail email address. I'm not sure if it's a current address, hence my communication via this medium.

Now back to our regular televised event...!

6:39 PM

 
Blogger akjn westside said...

thanks for the morning laugh, chuck

9:04 AM

 
Blogger Chuck said...

de nada.

11:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, c'mon now chuck, it wasn't that dry. i saw you drinking from disponibles (and not on a bar stool, i might add)--i know that wasn't just coca-cola in those plastic cups. now i know that in saying this i am throwing into doubt the authenticity of many of your, um, stories here blogged, but at least you've got this third party confirming that you are, at least, in cahuita. for me, of course, the biggest problem with this bit is that it didn't even mention that the steelers won.
still glowing back in the burgh, though the tan is fading . . .
jody from philly

8:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home