Everybodies Hometown...

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I believe

"I believe I'm innocent" - Jeffrey Skilling.

And therein lies the rub to borrow a phrase from my old (old) friend Willy. What is the underlying force in mankind that causes him to believe in something? To believe in something when everyone else believes the opposite?

And I'm not talking about knowing you did something wrong and lying about it. Everyone who's in prison will tell you they are innocent. They've been saying that since the minute they were caught, right up through incarceration. And of course, a couple of them probably are, but that's a blog for another day.

I'm talking about actually believing that you have done nothing wrong, or are continuing to do the right thing, as in the belief's our President has. He also suffers from "Believeatitus."

And while I personally don't have a problem believing the President can continue to believe his own non-sense, I do have a a hard time believing the rest of the Republicans can continue to defend him the way most of them are. In their case, I think they are lying and just playing politics.

And all of this brings me to my favorite topic, one that I haven't blogged about in quite some time. One that is overflowing, a cornucopia, has a profusion of people suffering from "Believeatitus" - organized religion.

Organized religion is nothing but beliefs, which is fine. I have no problem with that either. If you feel better by believing in some sort of higher power, or creator that is all fine by me.

Personally, I believe;

That organized religion is proof that mankind only uses 10% of his grey matter.
That if you knock on my door an offer me a pamphlet about why I should believe in your God, that I should have the right to roll it up and shove it down your throat, even if you are a little old lady.
That Jesus was an enlightened being.
That Jesus's followers weren't enlightened beings, which is why they have screwed up everything he taught them. They didn't understand it.
That we have been fighting wars for thousands of years over a piece of ground that isn't really all that special. I'd take the Redwood's of California over it any day.
That if the Middle East was a Christian region, we wouldn't be at war right now and would have all the oil we want.

I guess I believe a lot of things and many more I'm too tired to list. Maybe we could all just agree to disagree and leave it at that? I believe we could, but maybe I'm suffering from Believeatitus.

1 Comments:

Blogger akjn westside said...

nice-a post with some octane!
we'll meet you in the CA redwoods, brother :)
are you staying warm?

11:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home