Everybodies Hometown...

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Up, up and away!

Earlier this week I got to go on a little adventure through work, to the top of Ricker's mountain. There is a radio antenna up there that also holds a couple of our wireless access points.

After a Quad ride to the top with the boss, we hiked across the ridge line, maybe 3/4 of a mile. Most of it was up hill and across snow drifts. On a couple of occasions I broke through the snow up to my thigh and on one occasion, broke through right into a bog, where my boot got stuck in the mud on the bottom. Luckily it came home with me....


Now you can't see it in this picture but the antenna is on top of the peak you are looking at. This was on the way back down.


That's Joe on the ground making a call to Mike asking if he's ready on the other end. Our plan was to readjust a couple of our AP's to see if we could get a stronger signal down in Stowe.


This is the view from where I am, looking up. The strap with the yellow tags on it on the right side of the picture is what is keeping me from going kerplunk.


Here's a self portrait of a guy with a hat, hanging off some tower on a mountain in Vermont.


Over the weekend when there were the high winds, one of the other antennas on the tower actually snapped off and got tangled in the tower and a local radio stations antenna's.

Not exactly as high off the ground as those two guys you may have seen atop the Empire State Building, but high enough for me, and cool to be able to say I did it at least once.

8 Comments:

Blogger PAYNTERinFLORIDA said...

So you broke though the snow into a blog...wow. Who's blog was it? And why, if I may ask--was there mud in the blog? I think i'm lost.

8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So one day you're sitting around complaining your job is too boring, fast forward a few weeks and now your climbing a tower to fix an antenna while your boss watches?!! God bless Vermont and the spirit of Yankee ingenuity.
What's next the toilet backs up so you don some coveralls and hit the sewers? Maybe the gas to the office stove goes out and you're ordered to grab a roll of making tape and rubber cement and find the leak?

Let's just hope your boss doesn't need Preperation H applied anytime soon.

9:15 PM

 
Blogger akjn westside said...

Please be careful!

11:56 PM

 
Blogger Chuck said...

All, true. A cute play on words there PinF with the bog/blog. But in fact I did break through the snow into a "blog", because in effect, it lead to this story.

Hari, you are also true. The fact is, I think my days here are numbered. I'm not enjoying it. But getting the chance to climb the tower (it was actually the second time, I forgot my camera the first) was one of the little joys that makes me think there is potential in this job. Alas, I think it's too late....

Jojo, you sound like my mom. That is my mom 25 years ago, before she realized she was wasting her breath.

If I choose to throw caution to the wind and plunge fearlessly ahead into the face of peril, than damn well I'm going to do it! Usually preceeded by the words "lead on Hari"...

You did notice the intricate harness I was waring didn't you?

7:54 AM

 
Blogger cns said...

holy harness!
i had you pictured in a grey cube with an "everybody's hometown" coffee mug and vermont's version of B101 playing...you're at a ski resort and gettin paid!

10:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see the goatee is back! ;)

11:16 AM

 
Blogger Chuck said...

Well, I don't know about getting paid, but I am at a ski resort, working.

And my cube has brown wood grain paneling on the walls.

2:51 PM

 
Blogger akjn westside said...

Ak says thanks for keeping the juice flowing for the Vermonters, but not to do that tower stuff too much or you'll be shooting blanks.

4:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home