Everybodies Hometown...

Thursday, March 01, 2007

That's so gay....

The PC police are at it again.

I'm not a big fan of PC first of all. People are too sensitive these days. In browsing the web today I came across this article -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17388702/?GT1=9145

The Cliff Notes version is some kids in high school were teasing a girl about being Mormon. One of them asked the question "if she had 10 moms" and she shot back "that's so gay."

This got here in trouble with the principle and now her parents are in a lawsuit with the school over first amendment rights.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I mean, I'm not faulting the parents. What's up with the school? Do we have to be that protective? I can understand exactly the context that was meant when she responded, because it was the same context I would have meant it in when I was running around high school saying everything was "so gay."

But what really gets me is why didn't the lawyer just provide the following:

gay –adjective
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.
4. licentious; dissipated; wanton: The baron is a gay old rogue with an eye for the ladies.
5. homosexual.


Do you notice any reference to homosexual doesn't show up until number #5? And if you look up the definition of licentious -

li·cen·tious –adjective
1. sexually unrestrained; lascivious; libertine; lewd.
2. unrestrained by law or general morality; lawless; immoral.
3. going beyond customary or proper bounds or limits; disregarding rules.

It seems to me, having 10 moms would be 1,2 and 3! So in fact the girls response to the question was in fact correct.

There. Now that I've vented I feel gay.

Case closed.

Judge Brimstone and Hellfire out.

5 Comments:

Blogger PokerPro said...

This post is given to or abounding in social or other pleasures!

11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I,m with you Chuck. People are too sensitive these days to any little comment. I'm glad you take the in your face style of journalism. You didn't crumble to today's society and puss-out and write an article like some soft half-a-fag. You stayed true to your beer drinkin', whiskey sippin', kilt wearin', haggis eatin', Rod Stewart listenin', Scottish roots.

I too believe in telling it like it is, but I think stereotypes can go to far and cut too deep, so I tend to avoid them at all costs.

That's why I turn to this blog for all of my news.

Give Chuck 10 minutes and he'll give you the world, or some lecture on the joys of being a Pagan-either way always entertaining.

4:31 PM

 
Blogger akjn westside said...

licentious - I like it

don't feel too gay, now

5:50 PM

 
Blogger d.K. said...

Chuck,
Did you learn some Spanish in Costa Rica? I work with a lot of Latin Americans (visiting here, so not yet accostumed to our PC ways) and in Spanish, they refer to each other as "fatty", "pug nose", "darky", "skinny" etc., and no one ever gets offended. It's refreshing. There's definitely a line, but I agree, I think we need to move it over a few notches.

6:34 PM

 
Blogger d.K. said...

Hi Chuck.
Andrew Sullivan sort of makes the same point as you in one of his posts today - i.e. that there is a line in terms of what's acceptable and what's not in discourse, and that the "that's so gay" expression falls into the "acceptable" category, because its meaning is really rather harmless:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/03/kaus_attacks.html

4:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home